Tuesday, January 8

death

Death is a strange thing. It will happen to us all one day, that is a certainty. As aware of this dim fact as we may be, it still is a strange phenomenon. That life as we know it can leave the body of whom we are so familiar with, is very difficult to comprehend. I speak of this as it is on my mind today. I woke up this morning to find Tweedle had died in the night, I wasn't expecting it as I had looked after him for a week successfully, and thought if he was to die, it would have happened sooner. Also today is the day of a friends funeral. I won't be able to make it, partly because we hadn't been too close over the last few years, but I saw only a couple of months ago, and he is my facebook friend. Facebook drives me crazy, and I don't really visit it much, however I popped into Scott’s page to see what had been said. His fiancĂ©e had written to him only a few days before he died, to say how much she loved him, and since his death has continued to write to him speaking of her loss and sadness. Hundreds of other posts have been put on by many of his friends also. Scott was only 29, and died unexpectantly.

Death is a concept that often comes up in my work, sometimes directly other times a bit more indirectly. Either way I am fascinated by the fact that it is to happen to us all at a date we have no idea of, and that it leaves an emptly shell of a body behind, the soul, gone somewhere else.

No comments: