Friday, January 5

small towns

I live in a small town, and for those of you who havn't done that before, it's not hard to get to know people and in turn to be known. In fact, that is one of the reasons I was so keen to leave the small town I grew up in and move to Wellington, especialy after a little embarrsing episode of being the kiwifruit queen. But has fate would have it, here I am living in an even smaller town than before, and loving it by the way. Anyhow, my latest set of work 'Whaingaroa' is based on this small town, and for sure that is going to cause a bit of a stir, so this was in todays paper in little old Raglan
(click on the pic to make it readable)
And not long after that came out today, while I was sitting in my three day a week job and listening to the local radio station I heard the phone ringing on the radio... and also ringing in front of me at the same time... now THAT is something to be concerned about, so I think, should I answer it?! I leave it ringing, then eventualy pick it up, and just then the phone on the radio also stops ringing - also very concerning. So anyway the bored radio presenters decided to ring me off the cuff without warning even though the radio station is only 2 meters away from where I work to chat about my exhibitions coming up. Huh!

Anyhow, I hope '07 finds you all well! And I'll leave you with one of my favorite lyrics from one of my favorite bands 'Lamb'.

"little things"

there's so many things that we miss in our everyday lives
we're so busy hustling bustling chasing faraway dreams
we forget the little things
like blue skies, green eyes and our babies growing
like rainbows, fresh snow and the smell of summer
we forget to live

give us eyes like children so we live each day as our first
we're so sure we know so much that we forget to listen
then we want the fickle things
like cheap thrills, fast pills and constant consumption
like CDs, TVs and cars that speak our name
we forget to live


there's so many things that we miss in our everyday lives
we're so busy hustling bustling chasing faraway dreams
we forget the little things
like blue skies, green eyes and our babies growing
like rainbows, fresh snow and the smell of summer
we forget to live

No comments: