Thursday, January 11

i stand i float

i stand
at the edge of this earth
and see
the ocean staring back at me
its power
its secrets
the lands galaxy
it has been since the beginning
of time
if only its secrets i could
hear
i dive
the ocean engulfs me
embracing
its power all over me
oh tell me what you know
take me
where you have been
for here I am
at home
i float


I wrote this poem about my feelings as I stood on the edge of Te Toto Gorge about a year ago. An amazing place to go, despite it being the scene of a nasty crime recently. The image that I took while I was there was destined to go into my current series of work that opens tomorrow, it made it to the final edit, and into the darkroom, where it then edited it self out as I couldn't get it to print how I wanted it to no matter how many hours I tried. I'll print it one day though, as I love this image and I love this place.

3 comments:

microphen said...

nice shot. shame it didn't make the final cut. but what i really want to know is ... what was the recent "nasty crime"? you can't just drop in a teaser like that and not come through.

jodi Ruth keet said...

perhaps that was a bit subtle... but in my post 'whaingaroa' I mentioned a rape that had happend there a week after I was there photographing at night... it was on the news I believe, not that I have a t.v to see it on. So you're back huh! looking forward to seeing some of those what must be about 59390 photos you took!

ndiginiz said...

Tena koe ehoa
Yes a shame something like that had to happen on a coastal stretch such as Whaanga road.
I love that place and was myself traveling through there a week after the crime had happened.
The coastal stretch all along that west coast from Ruapuke through Pukerewa up to Port Waikato is awesome. Theres a natural ruggedness that still survives in the landscape as if time as we know it, hasn't yet reached this area. I especially like the warm coastal breezes rising up the hills. I go there to get back a sense of whats important to me.

Nice piece of writing as well Jodi.